Saturday, September 27, 2008

It's still growing!!!

I love to make things myself. I love the joy of creation and the stinginess of saving extra money. I have a child in cloth diapers and one just now out of them (accidents and messes galore) so I thought I'd make one of the simple laundry recipes I found online.
I couldn't find washing soda ANYWHERE IRL and paying $3 for the soda and $6 for the shipping negates the saving money aspect of making my own detergent. So I made it up as I went. Dumb-da-dumb-dumb-DUMB.
Here's what I started with

And good old H2O. Agua. Boiling hot.
I decided to double the batch. It was supposed to make 2 gallons. I used a 5 gallon bucket for the whole process thinking that it was ok to have too much space instead of not enough.

This was the one thing I did right.

As I stirred absentmindedly, I was thinking of a soft bed to sleep in and the kids being quiet. Lovely dreams, never gonna happen, but at least I was making soap - I had spent my night sick as a dog and then my morning rebagging trash that had been stored in the bed of a truck over the winter-spring-summer because we had no garbage service. We had started the service this spring when the snow was only waist high again, but there is only so much extra you can pack into a can and it was slow going.
It was stinky, slimy and utterly revolting. I was happy to make pink, lemony scented soap. Til it started growing.
I felt the bubbles on my fingertips and it didn't sink in that it was supposed to be 4-5 inches away, halfway up the spoon. NOT touching me. I was brought back to reality when it rose to mid-palm. I stopped stirring and watched it for a moment as it steadily grew and foamed higher. I had to recruit my DH to get me an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tub to pour it into, and as fast as I was it still started to overflow the bucket right as I tipped it.
I check on it later and it was about 2 inches higher, the top had mounded up and was smooth and shiny.
What had I created? Thoughts of The Blob started flitting through my head and I was getting suspicious of this stuff. I stirred it up and it's thick like soft whipped cream. I think I felt liquid about 4 inches down, but all I could see was bubbles. Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles.

We'll see how it goes, it seems to be in retreat now that I have caged it and started beating it regularly with a long handled kitchen spoon, but I'll keep you updated. My hands, on the upside, are SQUEAKY clean.
My DH has only one thing to say.
What's with you and soap? I've screwed up badly before. It wasn't a good time for me. So of course I do it again. And again. He's getting used to it.

No comments: